Monday, January 31, 2011

We Have a Winner

I love trying new recipes.  As you know some are winners and some are not to been seen again.  Today I was asked to make "the macaroni and cheese with the broccoli".  Really? She's asking for it specifically?  Hip hip hooray I have a winner. 

A few weeks ago I came across Too-ez Mac 'n Cheese in a recipe book I have.  It looked easy, healthy and kid-friendly so I took a chance.  Unfortunately, on my hunt to buy all the ingredients, I was unable to find the cauliflower and cheese at my local grocery store.  I ended up buying the broccoli and cheese and thought it shouldn't change the recipe too much, and it didn't.  Brooke is still acquiring her taste to broccoli but Morgan ate every last bite and asked for more.

P.S. It makes good leftovers too


There are only THREE ingredients.


And the prep time was great. 

I cooked the broccoli in the microwave according to the package directions.  While that cooked I put my water on to boil and then cooked my noodles.  Both finished at about the same time. 


Poor all contents of the broccoli into a large bowl.  Add the drained pasta noodles.

 Open three wedges of Laughing Cow Cheese and microwave for 30 seconds.

While the cheese is in the microwave, mix the pasta together with the broccoli and cheese.


Then add the Laughing Cow cheese wedges and mix until creamy.
.

Look how creamy

In our house macaroni and cheese always calls for a hot dog.  Here I used a lower fat hot dog.  Don't mind the slice of toasted bread used for a bun, you do what you gotta do sometimes. 
On the side is some applesauce.

Mommy's plate looks a little more grown-up.  I opted for no hot dog and got a diet coke instead.




HG too-ez mac 'n cheese

2 cups uncooked whole-wheat blend rotini pasta
6 cups (about 24 ounces) frozen Green Giant Cauliflower & Cheese Sauce
3 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
Optional: salt and black pepper

Directions:
Prepare pasta according to the instructions on the box, and then drain well and set aside. While pasta is cooking, cook the cauliflower & sauce package in the microwave for 12 - 16 minutes, until sauce has melted and cauliflower is hot.  Carefully, remove it from the microwave and combine with the cooked pasta. Set aside. Unwrap cheese wedges and place in a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth, and then add to the bowl.

Mix thoroughly, ensuring that the Laughing Cow cheese is evenly distributed and the pasta and cauliflower are coated in cheese sauce. If you like, season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment