Sunday, August 11, 2013

Three to Five

Running on my own doesn't happen very often.  I definitely prefer running with a partner and chatting about life or our favorite reality TV show.   However, today I had scheduled myself for a run.  Which is like saying it out loud to someone.  So therefore I had to go. 

I left my driveway with no real route planned. I knew I wanted to do three miles and I knew I did not want to hit the trail alone.  As I headed for a main road that was recently under construction I figured this normally busy road might not be too bad.  So off I went. 

As I started running the straight stretch I started to think about where I wanted to go.  I also started to think the "that's too far" road might actually not be too bad.  As I hit 2 miles it was decision time. Do I turn around and do 4 miles (more than my plan) or see how far I really could go. I decided to keep going. 

I haven't felt confident in my runs this past month.  I have another half marathon planned and needed to get some longer runs in. The warmer weather has taken its toll and my long runs haven't happen. The route today wasn't really about the miles it was more about running because I wanted to run. Proving to myself I can run on my own. My own route, my own schedule, and alone with my thoughts. I suppose you might say it was the confidence booster I needed. 

I have no plans to continue this solo running. I would much rather run with a partner.  However, it is nice to know I will survive on my own if I need to. 




No comments:

Post a Comment